Thursday, March 29, 2012

first impressions last the longest

In the start of Linda Hogan's, Power, the reader gets the sense that Ama spends her life riding the fine line between traditional and contemporary. Although as the novel continues, Ama's lifestyle tends to come off as more traditional. Her ways of handling situations seem to revert to that of her elders.

This slight change in Ama's character is evident through Hogan's text, although I often find myself convinced that Ama is still "torn" between the conflicting ways of life. As we discussed this further in class, I wondered why this might be the case. I not only thought about the ways in which I view other characters but also the way in which I view the people around me. When I am first introduced to someone, my brain forms opinions about them. Not judgements, but ideas about the type of person they may be. While reading this novel, I find myself using this same technique. My first opinion of Ama is etched into my mind. Her struggle between a contemporary and traditional lifestyle is one that sticks out to me. I continued to resort to this mental characterization for Ama as I read and found it difficult to shake the initial thoughts I had about her. This just goes to show that first impressions can truly make a statement about an individual.

2 comments:

  1. Reading this made me truly question why Ama stays apart of the modern world when I feel like she clearly does not similar ideals of modern people. I think that maybe Ama is there for the sole purpose of presenting the old beliefs to constantly remind people of what was before, whether it has changed for the good or for the bad. But maybe she also hopes to instill a want to connect to the past in people who are open to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was intersting. I never looked at Ama that way before. I always saw her as someone who knew exactly what she wanted.

    ReplyDelete