Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Home Is Where The Heart Is

In most instances where one inquires about the definition of the word home, they will find answers such as 'the place where one lives', 'a dwelling place', or even 'a physical structure'; definitions so broad that it can often be difficult to put emotions behind them. At the start of Maya Angelou's, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, instead of referring to her and her brother's destination as her fathers home, she says that she is going home to her fathers. This shows that her sense of home lies in the broad definition of home being a place. Angelou's novel is based upon her finding herself over the course of her life, discovering herself after many series of events. Her interpretation of home is most likely one that will change due to the circumstances she undergoes.

Home to me may be Fort Wayne, Indiana, because that is where I have lived for my entire life. Although to someone who has lived in seven different states over the course of their life, home is not one place. To understand home on a deeper level, one must find what gives them a sense of security in life. I find security in various aspects of my life. Hearing my mothers comforting voice on the phone will forever be the medicine for putting my mind at immediate ease. I also can find a feeling of home in another literal place. Church bells ringing remind me that no matter where I go in the world, my religion and God will be with me. No matter the location, the familiarity of the church makes me feel "at home" and literally in a place where security rules all. Feeling at home brings one happiness. It is in turn my favorite 'destination', 'place' or structure to go in my mind,

1 comment:

  1. I think it is really cool that you are so centered and focused on the church as your main sense of home, besides your literal home. I think that everyone needs to find their own place, like the church is for you. It breaks my heart when kids do not have a home because they move around so much. They lack a center place that they can feel rooted in. Kids need a sense of grounding in their life. We all do.

    ReplyDelete