Tuesday, January 24, 2012

the assumed danger behind a woman's education. what gives?

As Virginia Woolf reflects on her experience entering the library that "cursed women" she tells her readers:

"I must have opened it, for instantly there issued, like a guardian angel barring the way with a flutter of black gown instead of white wings, a depressing, silvery, kindly gentleman, who regretted in a low voice as he waved me back that ladies are only admitted to the library if accompanied by a Fellow of the College or furnished with a letter of introduction."

Women and Fiction. A theme so simple, yet one that can be understood in a great deal of ways. Unlike author Charlotte Bronte, a now deceased forthright individual whose work was deemed rather controversial during the 19th century, Woolf takes a less direct approach in her writing of the ever famous novel, A Room of One's Own. In her avoidance of the use of persuasion, Woolf submissively encourages her audience to form an educated opinion of their own. Readers are able to base their individual outlook upon the insight discovered through the author's studying of various accounts of female inferiority; this is further supported by factual evidence and her own personal experience.

Only a few paragraphs after reading the passage above, I found myself retreating back to it and re-reading it a few times over. It reminded me of a story I had heard... no, a story I had read. I thought for a moment but could not put my finger on where this familiarity was coming from. I closed my eyes in hopes of the answer being written behind my eyelids. As I sat there a while longer, a name popped into my head. Guy Montag. In what story had I read that interesting name over and over again? Why was this person forming a connection with a woman who was blatantly denied her freedom to enter into a college library? Then, all at once, it came to me. A book that I read only a year ago as a senior in high school. Fahrenheit 451. How could I have forgotten?


For as much as I hate to admit it, I have a terrible memory when it comes to remembering literature. I can read something absolutely profound that I hope to remember as long as I live, and when I am asked about it two weeks later the title of the work has already left me. Although what I do remember from Fahrenheit 451 is the novel's theme of limitation on women's rights in terms of reading and education. Set in a futuristic time period, the female characters of this books live in a stimulated world full of television and media. At the start of the novel, women are forbidden to educate themselves through reading and are essentially cut-off from the worlds harsh reality.The books that were once available to the people are kept hidden by the town's up-most authority. Though this hardship does not stop everyone from sneaking a few reading materials and keeping them hidden within the secrecy of their home. Now I won't go any further and spoil the end for those who may decide to read it, but I will say that Guy Montag labels himself as quite the hero towards the end of the book.



The connection between A Room of One's Own and Fahrenheit 451 can be drawn for obvious reasons. For centuries, women's rights have lied heavily upon the issue of equal education for male and females. Ray Bradbury, author of Fahrenheit 451, bases his novel in the future, where technology reigns and books are no longer important. After reading Bradbury's novel, I put the intimidating concept of women's over stimulation and denial of education into deep consideration. Through doing this, I was not only encouraged to take a closer look at the roles that women pursue in our society today, but I was also inspired to reflect on history as a whole. Oh how the times have changed. Through reading Virginia Woolf''s A Room of One's Own, I was able to connect these astounding perspectives and "further my education" on women's rights.

Let Freedom Ring!

http://www.gradesaver.com/fahrenheit-451/study-guide/short-summary/

1 comment:

  1. There is definitely a connection between the two works. Both emphasize the issue of losing individual rights. Interesting interpretation.

    ReplyDelete